Protection and Guard Service is a state body with functions in the field of national security, specialized in providing protection for the Romanian dignitaries, the foreign dignitaries during their stay in Romania, and their families, within its legal competence. It also provides guard for the headquarters and residences of the above-mentioned dignitaries in accordance with the decisions of the Supreme Council of National Defence.
In order to carry out its functions, The Protection and Guard Service collaborates with the Ministry of National Defence, the Ministry of the Interior, the Romanian Intelligence Service, the Foreign Intelligence Service, the Special Telecommunications Service, with other specialized ministries and bodies of the central and local public administration. The institutions mentioned before are bound to grant, within legal competences, the necessary support for The Protection and Guard Service to carry out its functions given by the law.
Protection and Guard Service, through its specialized structures, has among other, the following functions:
- Conducts, during the missions of protection and guard, the activity of all the participating forces, in the scope to protect the objective is in its charge and the management of crowds that surround it;
- Organizes and carries out activities in order to prevent and annihilate any action that might be a threat to the life, physical integrity, freedom of action and health of the persons whose protection is in its charge; carries out the guard and defence of these persons' headquarters and residences;
- Organizes and carries out, overtly or under cover, activities of gathering, checking and using the necessary intelligence, only with a view to completing its missions accordingly to the law. Any information of a different operative value will be immediately transmitted to the authorities that are legally qualified to check and use it;
- Organizes and conducts, during the missions of protection and guard, the activity of all the participating forces;
- Intervenes, independently or in cooperation with other institutions designated by the law in order to prevent or counteract the actions that may endanger the life, physical integrity, health or freedom of action of the protected as well as the security of the guarded objectives. It also intervenes to capture or annihilate the terrorist and aggressive elements;
- Carries out independently or in cooperation with other specialized institutions, actions of search, identification and annihilation of the suspect objects which can be dangerous for the protected persons or guarded objectives;
For more information visit our website: www.spp.ro